As part of the local launch festivities, I had the opportunity for a one-on-one with Gabe Amatangelo, SWTOR’s Lead PvP designer. We had a bunch of great questions from the Oceanic community, and we managed to ask pretty much all of them. We also threw in a question about the delay with free server transfers.
Gabe was a friendly guy and it shows in his answers, so without further ado, here’s the interview:
- Lesser end-game commendations (Champion, Centurion, etc.) will not be exchangable.
- There will be two levels of warzones. Regular and Ranked warzones.
- Regular warzones will give out regular WZ commendations, and Ranked warzones will give out ranked WZ commendations.
- New intro PVP set for new level 50 players to fill gap in gear.
- There will be some “fun” uses for commendations you dont need anymore.
- Phase one will be server specific.
- Phase two (coming in the future) will have cross-server queuing.
- Combat log coming soon.
- DPS meters/Parsers will be done by 3rd party addons via combat log.
- Free/Paid Server transfers are being worked on but no date provided. They want to make sure the process is perfect before releasing this.
- Coming in phase two of pvp changes (later than 1.2)
- Priority is on playing with people from your own server.
- As soon as you start choosing certain things (which warzone, ranked, etc.). It becomes more difficult for you to get a WZ with server players so you go into the cross-server queue.
Are there any plans to allow lesser PVP tokens (Centurion etc) to be traded in for higher tokens (Champion etc) at a ratio? (Like Warzone tokens into Mercenary Commendations).
What is the outlook for Bioware’s rated pvp, are you aiming for an e-sport paradigm or something more casual.
When, when, when are dps meters coming out?!?!?!?
What are your impressions on the current PvP Warzones and what have you learned going forward for their future?
Are there any plans to allow trading up of Planetary Commendations like Daily’s or higher level planet commendations, I don’t think im ever going to use my 56 Tattooine Commendations anytime soon.
I heard we maybe going cross-server for warzones. How is that going to be handled? Are we going to be using battlegroups, or preferably RvR (realm vs realm)? With RvR, it’d at least keep that sense of community with your server.
Any chance we will see a larger scale instanced objective based Warzone? (Something along the lines of the epicness of Vanilla WoW Alterac Valley)
As I see it, the single biggest problem with Ilum PvP is the large scale kill trading. Why aren’t the organisers of KT (if not all participants of KT ops) banned for boosting / exploiting?
With the announcement of server transfers now not occurring until late April, there’s been some griping giving the assumption was made it’d be earlier. Is the delay due to the free transfers being part of the wider roll-out of transfers throughout the game?
Over to you: what did you think of Gabe’s answers?
Also a big thanks to Jodie at EA for videoing the interview.